Dark Mode
Wednesday, 26 June 2024
Logo
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
Pakistan Strongly Condemns the Israeli Attack on a Refugee Camp in Rafah

Pakistan Strongly Condemns the Israeli Attack on a Refugee Camp in Rafah

By Mashal Khan

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan strongly condemned  the Israeli bombardment and targeting of an UNRWA refugee camp in Rafah in Gaza Strip that has resulted in multiple casualties.

 

In a statement, Foreign Ministry said that targeting of individuals who were displaced earlier because of Israeli bombardment and were sheltered in a refugee camp, is yet another breach of international humanitarian law by the Israeli occupation forces.

"The attack is also a blatant defiance of the additional provisional measures of 24 May 2024 by the International Court of Justice (ICJ) ordering Israel to immediately halt its military offensive in Rafah in conformity with its obligations under the Genocide Convention and the worsening humanitarian conditions faced by civilians," said the ministry.

"With its latest actions, Israeli occupation forces have once again demonstrated their contempt for international law and the basic tenets of decency and acceptable international behaviour.

Pakistan reiterates its demand for immediate and unconditional implementation of the orders of the ICJ of 24 May 2024. Measures must be taken to fully protect civilians in Gaza and the Israeli occupation forces must be held accountable for the Gaza genocide," it added.

Islamabad called  on the UN Security Council to play its role in preventing Israel from any further attacks against the civilians in Rafah and taking effective measures to protect the people of Gaza.

 

At least 45 people, mostly women and children, were killed and nearly 250 others injured in an Israeli strike on a camp for displaced people in Rafah on Sunday, according to Anadolu Agency. 

The attack occurred near the logistics base of the UN agency for Palestinian refugees (UNRWA) in Tal al-Sultan, said the Gaza-based Government Media Office.

Israel has killed more than 36,000 Palestinians in the Gaza Strip since a cross-border attack by Hamas on Oct. 7 last year.

The military campaign has turned much of the enclave of 2.3 million people into ruins, leaving most civilians homeless and at risk of famine.

The attack came despite a ruling by the International Court of Justice that ordered Israel to halt its offensive in Rafah, where over a million Palestinians had sought refuge from the war before it was invaded on May 6.

 

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement

Comment / Reply From

Archive

Please select a date!

Newsletter

Subscribe to our mailing list to get the new updates!

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement