Dark Mode
Sunday, 30 November 2025
Logo
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
Pakistan not ready to disarm Hamas, says foreign minister

Pakistan not ready to disarm Hamas, says foreign minister

By The South Asia Times

Islamabad — Pakistan will not join any international stabilization force (ISF) in Palestine if its mandate includes disarming Hamas, Foreign Minister Ishaq Dar said Saturday , stressing that such a role is beyond Pakistan’s mission and responsibility.

“If ISF is for disarming Hamas than  We are not ready for that. Thats not our job, but that of the Palestinian law enforcement agencies,” he told reporters during a news conference in Islamabad

. “Our job is peacekeeping. We are definitely ready to contribute to the force — the prime minister has in principle already announced after consultation with the field marshal that we will contribute — but this decision cannot be taken until it is decided what its mandate and terms of reference will be.”

Dar noted that Indonesia has also raised objections. “As per my information, if it will include disarming Hamas, then even my Indonesian counterpart has informally expressed his reservation,” he added.

He recalled that Indonesia had proposed sending 20,000 troops, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif had similarly expressed Pakistan’s willingness — in principle — to join the force, pending clarity on its objectives.

 

Aid access to Afghanistan may resume

The foreign minister also said Pakistan could reopen its border with Afghanistan for United Nations humanitarian aid soon, while keeping commercial trade suspended.

“I spoke to the Army Chief, and he has expressed his consent,” Dar said. “Now I will discuss it with the Prime Minister, and hopefully by tomorrow we will make an announcement.”

Pakistan shut the border for trade amid rising tensions and a surge of attacks launched from Afghan territory.

Dar disclosed that Islamabad had been fully prepared to conduct a cross-border military strike last month but refrained following diplomatic intervention from Qatar.

“We were ready to conduct the kinetic operation, but perhaps Qatar learned from anywhere , and their Prime Minister, who is also foreign minister kept contacting us every hour, urging us not to take action as they would help resolve the issue,” he said.

“So, we did not carry out the operation that night — though we were fully prepared to do so.”

 

“No compromise on security”

Dar reiterated that Pakistan’s expectation from Kabul remains unchanged: Afghan soil must not be used against Pakistan by the outlawed Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan (TTP).

“Our only demand is that Afghan soil must not be used against us,” he said. “If the Afghan Taliban take one step forward, we will take a hundred steps toward the restoration of relations.”

He added that divisions exist within the Afghan Taliban regarding how to handle the TTP. “There are two power circles — one that wants to resolve this issue, and another that wants to use TTP against us,” he stated.

Dar stressed that national security remains a red line. “There is no price for dignity, and we would not compromise on our security,” he said.

Humanitarian agencies continue to warn of worsening food insecurity in Afghanistan, and Dar’s remarks suggest Pakistan is attempting to balance urgent humanitarian needs with heightened regional security complexities.

Responding to a question regarding Iranian offer of mediation, Dar said our two brotherly countries already engaged in that efforts and Islamabad appreciate Tehran efforts.

 

" As you know that our two brotherly countries (Turkiye and Qatar) already engaged in mediation efforts, and we appreciate Iran effortsl," he said. 

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement
AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement

Comment / Reply From

AdSense Advertisement
Advertisement